The 4th AGM of the Guernsey Disability Alliance took place on Weds 2nd May.
Picture if you will…
- A packed Cambridge Room at Beau Sejour – about 100 people
- Familiar GDA faces, plus lots of new ones.
- 24 deputies in total (half the Assembly!)
- No air con (thanks Beau Sejour…)
- Storming round of applause for Jane Stephens.
- More applause as Jenny Hooper voted Vice-Chair and Simon De La Mare, Treasurer.
- Unanimous approval for Rob Platt’s proposal to move to Company Limited By Guarantee.
- Surprise guest speaker – Chief Minister, Deputy Peter Harwood, praises GDA as ‘model to follow’. (His first official appointment.)
- Emilie Yerby, Disability Officer, paints a truly inspirational picture of future for disabled islanders.
- Damp eyes around the room for Jenny’s poignant vote of thanks.
- A rush to sign-up to register to vote for new Champion.
- Huge buzz of conversation as everyone stays on to chat over a sandwich (despite the heat).
To give you a flavour…
Here’s what the deputies had to say…
- Deputy Mike Hadley (South-East):
‘Last night was an amazing evening. It’s incredible what the GDA has achieved over the last four years’
- Deputy Rob Jones (Castel):
‘Congratulations to you all for a job well done, this is just the beginning’.